The national benefactor Grigorios Maraslis donates to the public the amount of 250,000 gold drachmas in order to house the Academy of Commerce and Industry in Athens. In the same year, the reconstruction of a building at 114 V. Sofias Av. begins. It was named Marasleio Megaron in honor of the homonymous national benefactor (today Ippokrateio Hospital).
Eleftherios Venizelos invites to Greece the professor of the University of Lausanne Georges Paillard to whom he assigns the drafting of the founding report of the Higher School of Commerce, following the model of the corresponding School of the University of Lausanne.
Georges Paillard together with Leon Morf had founded the Higher School of Commerce of University of Lausanne.
170 students are enrolled in the first year of operation of the School.
The first subjects taught are: Political Economy, Accounting, Chemistry, General Mathematics, Commercial Economics, Civil and Commercial Law.
Law 2191/18-6-1920 establishes a "Higher School of Commercial Studies" in Athens, based on Paillard’s proposal. The School is under the Ministry of National Economy.
The first female students, sisters Keti and Sofia Angelopoulou, enroll in the School.
The Students' Association is founded aiming at the "moral and spiritual improvement of its members".
Nikolaos Gounarakis, first School Director (1921-1923)
The building constructed to house the Higher Commercial School at Vasilissis Sofias Av., was instead used as a refugee hospital due to the Asia Minor Catastrophe in 1922. Today the building is known as the Ippokratio Hospital.
The School is temporarily located in the building that housed the Roussopoulos Commercial and Industrial Academy, in Kaningos Square.
Higher School of Commercial Studies is renamed to Higher School of Commercial Sciences (ASOEE).
The first PhD graduates are Aggelos Aggelopoulos, economist and academic, and Athanasios Sbarounis, who later became Professor of the School.
The following University Units are established:
• Applied Office of Accounting and Banking
• Merchant Laboratory and Museum
• Economic Research Office
• Comparative Law Office
Two biennial schools are established in ASOEE for the retraining of employees from the Ministry of Finance and Interior.
The State grants land at 76 Patision Street for the construction of a building that meets the needs of the School. This area is given in exchange for the non- assignment of the building on Vasilissis Sofias Avenue, where the Ippokrateio Hospital is consequently housed.
The School is finally housed at Maraslio Megaron on Patission Street. This remains the main University building to this day.
Anastasios Spourgitis, first Rector (1935-1937)
ASOEE is now under the Ministry of Education, it is recognized as equivalent to the University of Athens and the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), and is hierarchically placed immediately below the latter.
In one of the most difficult periods of modern Greek history, in the aftermath of World War II and during civil war, the School remains operational and continues to offer scientific knowledge to an average of 150 graduates per year.
The duration of study at the School is increased from three to four years; in the fourth year, studies are divided into two streams: Economics and Commercial Sciences.
At the opening of the Ceremony Hall, King Paul is awarded an honorary doctorate.
The Institute of Business Administration Training is established
The differentiation of studies in the directions of Economics and Business Sciences starts from the third year.
The Department of Commerce is renamed to Department of Business Administration.
Elli Vasilatou-Thanopoulou, the first female University Professor
Graduate studies, leading to a two-year Master’s degree and a PhD degree, are organized for the first time in Greece by the Department of Economics.
Georgios Halkiopoulos Foundation is founded, aiming at awarding scholarships to Economic Science students who are distinguished each year for their performance and ethos.
The Research Center (ELKE) is established, within which the Center for Economic Research is established with the aim of developing research and disseminating scientific knowledge.
The University comprises three Departments:
• Department of Economics
• Department of Business Administration
• Department of Statistics and Informatics
The Master’s program in Business Administration of the Department of Business Administration is founded.
Establishment of the Erasmus student mobility program
The opening of the Derigny wing
The University’s new Computer Center, one of the most modern in the country, is housed on the 3rd floor of AUEB’s Derigni Building.
The University now includes the following six Departments:
• Department of Economics
• Department of Business Administration and Accounting
• Department of Applied Informatics
• Department of Statistics
• Department of Inernational and European Economic Studies
• Department of Business Administration and Marketing
ASOEE is renamed to Athens University of Economics and Business
Commencement of operations for the Student Employment Office andthe Alumni Career Office.
The Network Operation Center is created.
The new building on Antoniadou Str. opening.
Research Laboratories are established in the Department of Informatics of the University:
• Laboratory of Information Systems and Databases
• Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support Systems
• Laboratory of Computer Systems and Communications
The University cellebrates 75 years in a celebrated ceremony with the participation of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Mr. Konstantinos Stefanopoulos, and the Rectors and Vice Rectors of Greek Universities.
Construction of the AUEB Center for Graduate Studies at Lefkados & Evelpidos Str. is completed.
The Department of Business Research and Marketing is renamed to Department of Marketing and Communication.
The University creates its own Publishing House.
In the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Karolos Papoulias and Chinese President Hu Jintao, an agreement is signed in Beijing for the establishment of the Confucius Institute of Athens at the Athens University of Economics and Business
The Indian Government awards a Chair for International Entrepreneurship at AUEB.
The Employment and Career Center (DASTA AUEB) is created to coordinate the actions and services of the University with regards to promoting employment and career opportunities for students and graduates. The following three sub-units operate under DASTA:
• The Liaison Office, which improves job prospects for AUEB students and alumni by bringing them in contact with the labor market
• The Internship Office, which promotes the employment of students during their time of study
• The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit, which supports the business ideas of students and graduates, and promotes entrepreneurship and innovation as an alternative professional career choice.
The Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) of the Athens University of Economics and Business is founded.
Commencement of Teacher Education Program.
The "AUEB Social Offering Network" is created with the aim of developing educational and counseling activities in sensitive social groups.
Three Schools are established:
School of Economic Sciences, School of Business and School of Information Sciences and Technology
The Athens Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation – ACEin is created
The first issue of the University newspaper "OPA News" is published.
“AUEB SHOP”, the University's memorabilia store, comes into operation.
Establishment of Distance Learning and Lifelong Learning (eLearning) programs.
The inauguration of AUEB’s new building on Troias Str., in the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Mr. Prokopios Pavlopoulos.
"AUEB Volunteers” program starts.
2018: The fisrt "OPA Run", a 5 km road race and a 2 km walk, taking place at Pedion Areos is organized by "AUEB Volunteers".
Athens University of Economics and Business celebrates its 100th anniversary.
The Outstanding Performance in Teaching Awards are established.
1st Panhellenic Student Economics competition "ERMIS"